- Kosher salt
- 4 (8-ounce; 225g) salmon steaks,deboned and rolled into medallions
- 1 recipeHomemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Fill a medium bowl with water and add kosher salt until it tastes like ocean water. Add fish medallions and let soak for 10-15 minutes. Remove from water and pat dry.
- Meanwhile,light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over half of coal grate. Alternatively, set half the burners of a gas grill to high heat. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
- Place the rolled steaks on the hot side of the grill and cook without moving until seared on first side and fish releases from grill grate, about 2 minutes. Flip steaks, brush top sides with teriyaki sauce, and cook until bottom sides are seared and release from grill, about 2 minutes longer.
- Flip steaks again to set glaze, approximately 30 seconds. Brush teriyaki sauce over second side. Flip on more time to set glaze on second side. Transfer to cooler side of grill, cover, and cook until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center registers 110 to 120°F for medium-rare. Remove from grill, sprinkle with scallions and squeeze with lemon juice to serve.